Thursday, March 7, 2013

Star Blazers - WCC Animation Comics

In my teen years I began going to sci-fi conventions, and the vendor rooms were usually a treasure trove for fans of anime.  I remember seeing stacks of Japanese books on Space Cruiser Yamato, known here as Star Blazers.  It must have been around 1986 or 1987 when I stumbled upon an English print edition of the "Quest For Iscandar" series of Star Blazers.  I think I went there with hard-earned lawn mowing cash and spent $50 to get all five volumes of these "animation comics" which featured full color screenshots of the television series.  I went home that day with all five volumes.  I knew then I was starting a library of great art books.  I had often figured if there was ever a house fire, I would grab these books and go! I still have them today.


2 comments:

  1. I was just watching the live-action movie remake the other day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How did you like it? I heard there is a DVD release available but it might be expensive to get in the USA. I know the Yamato 2199 DVD's are very pricey but really want to see them.

    ReplyDelete