Sunday, March 3, 2013

Homemade Voltron Animation

So it's been about a week since my last post... work has been crazy, and this weekend at home has been all about spring cleaning.  As I was pondering what to post, I realized I had hardly posted anything about my favorite cartoon from my teens... and that would be Voltron!  Most people who knew me at the time associated this cartoon with me, mostly because it drove my creativity to new levels... if I wasn't drawing Voltron, I was writing with my best pal Debra.  We had a titanic expanded universe with both Voltrons, plus our classmates as cast members of the show.  So I really cannot leave out the Defender Of The Universe... there is so much I could include about this program.  So when you look at my characters, you are seeing something that is greatly influenced by this 80's anime program, among others.

Every once in a while, I dabble with animation... I am by no means an expert, but I don't let that stop me from trying things out.  A few years ago, I wanted to recreate one of the original clips of Lion Voltron swinging his sword back... not the one you saw in every episode, but one that would have been seen in one of the early episodes.  I heavily referenced the original animation to get this done... I quite literally reverse engineered it.  The final result contains about six frames (the original production would have used many more), each had to be digitally stitched together and then colored.  The lens flare was added later.  Check it out... enjoy.






No comments:

Post a Comment